TPCOLLINS, you were thinking about a semi-auto, but do you have any idea what your wife was thinking? Has she got any experience with handguns at all. I've taught several handgun classes for women and they go for revolvers pretty easily. One of the nicest triggers out there on a revolver is on a Ruger LCR. Don't want a snubby, which are harder to shoot, get her a Ruger LCRx3" in 38 special. They are nice revolvers. My wife and a friend of hers really like their Ruger LCR. We have Ruger Six series 4" barrels hid around the house. She likes them all. But she also carries a stainless Taurus 85 in her car. Another nice gun might be the Taurus 856 coming out in the defender series in 3" barrel. It's a 6 shooter. There are a lot of good revolvers out there. Give her a chance at them. Someone mentioned a S&W mod 60 3" and they are a nice gun. Load any of them with 38 Special +P, and she's good to go.

If you think she needs to try a semi auto, In no particular order I'd try a Ruger SR22, S&W M&P Compact. Ruger LCR II 22LR, Ruger 22/45 4". Leave them loaded and ready to rock and roll. Get her to an NRA Women on Target class ASAP.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain