Wear what keeps you comfortable. Sometimes that means good layers for warmth, other times it means managing moisture (sweat), and of course there's whatever your AO has for potential precipitation. I'm not a "system" person. I pick and choose pieces I think will work for me. I head for the clearance rack 1st almost everywhere I shop.

Oct-Dec I carry a "puffy" jacket and sometimes pants if I'm going to hike in somewhere then sit for an extended period. A set of Carharts would keep me just as warm, but, I'd need more room to pack them in as I'm certainly not hiking in them, getting all sweated up then sitting down.

Hunting Sharptails in Sept, I'm likely wearing lightweight pants/shirts that dry sweat quickly, same stuff I wear while fishing for the most part. Academy's Magellan Laguna Madre pants are $30 @ reg price. 4-way stretch and I've found them to be quite durable while fishing in them during the summer.

Rain-gear is the place a person ought not skimp if you're going to be somewhere truly "wet".

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.