Originally Posted by the_shootist
In my 30 plus years as a LEO, I was happy I never had to shoot anyone. I trained to do it, and was ready to do it, but thankfully it never happened. Came close a few times. When I started out in 1971 our issue handgun was a Colt Police positive revolver, loaded with 158 grain round nose lead bullets -- 38 Spl -- not +P. We didn't have speed loaders. I had to kill a few animals with it, and found that with proper shot placement - between the eyes it would anchor even average sized black bears and deer. Carried that one for about 5 or 6 years.

It was replaced with a 38 Spl Model 10 Smith with a 4 inch bull barrel - 158 gr. lead semi-wadcutters. Nicer to shoot accurately, and we went to +P ammo. I killed lots of nuisance bears and several injured moose and deer. One bullet between the eyes did the job right quick. Our plain clothes handgun was a model 10 Smith with a 2" barrel. It worked.

About 1993 or thereabouts, we were issued Sigarms P229 in the double action only in 40 S&W. 12 round mags, tritium sights. Good ordinance. The guys seemed to think it was a magic wand, but I found that the same guys that couldn't shoot the model 10 could also not shoot the 40. My department recently went to the Glock 17 in 9 mm because of the "changes in bullet design and metallurgy." A bullet that takes a path through the vitals is going to work -- location, location, location. I never have ascribed to the spray and pray ideology. Rounds that miss their intended targets bring potential dead or injured non combatants -- and law suits.

One time, I set up a target at 110 yards, took a head hold and placed 12 rounds in an 8" group, centre mass. Not bad for a less than 4" barrel and a double action only 10 pound trigger pull, but I practiced a lot.

I retired at the end of 2001. Never shot a human, thank the Lord. Seeking peace I prepared for war. It ain't about horsepower. I investigated scores of fatal shootings where the 22LR killed someone. wouldn't be my weapon of choice.

38 SPL, 40 A&W, 9 mm Luger? Take your pick, and shoot straight.

Wisdom is often lost from generation to generation. Thanks for the input.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.