Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by specneeds
I’d like one rifle to be all he needs even if elk at 400 yards is a likely shot.

Well, you've just described a 270 AND a 308, 7/08, 280 and 30-06 (and anything that fits in between those). I think starting a new hunter, irrespective of size or age, with a magnum is just setting them up for failure/problems. Choosing to shoot a lighter recoiling rifle does not make one less of a man/woman. Arguably, it displays one may even be smart. Good luck in your quest and kudos to you for helping another prospective hunter.

I think a lot of us agree totally with your post. I, personally, would never start a new hunter/shooter off with a 300WM. i dont care how old, big, strong, small or "manly" said shooter is. It's just asking for trouble, as the new shooter is likely to develop a bad flinch and bad habits and probably not even enjoy shooting. Like Brad asked the op, how many elk has he killed with a 270? The 270 is an excellent all around cartridge choice, assuming you use the proper bullets for the job.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA