When I started the thread looking for one all around bargain rifle & optics suggestions I did ask “am I missing something?”

So I guess what I was missing is “6.5 or 270 is all a hunter ever needs”. “Cost of factory ammo & recoil from the bench is the proper focus here” I suppose I could have put on my red& black flannel hat & said “son all a man needs is a 30-06 Remington 700” and I could have been done.

It just seems there are so many new rifles out there that I’ve never even handled (Winchester XPR, Mauser 18) that the guys on this forum have tried & tested know all about & can share their expertise. Optics from Athlon, Tract, Hawke I have never looked through and don’t have any stores nearby to look at.

It would have saved the ridicule from rifle loonies who firmly believe that hunters should shoot hundreds if not thousands of rounds of centerfire rifle ammo to adequately prepare to shoot an animal once or twice a year.

I’m not sure this young man will actually only buy one rifle. He is a serious off road enthusiast & that is an expensive hobby so my goal was to give him an answer to his question. Silly of me to think that would be the goal here.