I appreciate the many good pieces of advice & constructive suggestions. I may certainly be wrong & get surprised that the 30-06 he has managed successfully in a very small sample could be the top of his recoil tolerance. Rangefinders & optics technology has certainly made trajectories more predictable. But this isn’t a shoot all day at the bench gun we are talking about where every distance is known and time to fire at a target is unlimited. Hunters occasionally need to shoot quickly at unknown ranges & flatter trajectory provides greater room for error in those situations.

I realize that we have become a softer less hardy country with almost every generation and that a shot at an an awkward angle might actually leave a bruise for heavens sake.

But reading the caliber suggestions I couldn’t help but think a handful of years ago these are exactly what would have been suggested for a teenage girl.

In fact I trained a 120 lb woman archer for one of those TV hunting shows, Ultimate Huntress, a few years ago & the rifle they received for making the cut to be on TV was a 270. She managed my lightweight 375H&H practicing the charging Cape buffalo target easily. A natural marksman but novice with firearms & essentially no trigger time she killed an Oryx & Audad cleanly & competed well in the shooting competitions.

So my actual experience runs a little differently than the suggestions, but heck I’ve been wrong before & may be this time.