Jeez these things sure seem to go in ackward and weird directions. It's not about whether or not the guy is the size of Dick Butkus or whether or not anybody who is not ready, willing and able to shoot a 300WM, etc. is a girly-man. Every single one of us "tough guys" and macho men on this forum who have shot a lot of big bore rifles in our lives can practice a lot more with a 22 than we can with a 375. With very few exceptions, most of us are much better shots with low recoiling firearms than we are with large recoiling. I know we have exceptions of guys on this forum who are so much tougher than everybody else that they open a beer can, pour out the liquid and then eat the aluminum. You are not only cool and tough but you ARE THE EXCEPTION.

It's almost like our moronic caliber debates. If you can handle a 223, you can handle a 243. If you can handle a 243, you can handle a 30-06. If you can handle a 30-06, you can handle a 338. On and on and on. I know little bitty guys who shoot nothing but magnums. I know big guys who have moved away from magnums for no other reason than enjoyment of the lesser kickers. According to the OP we have a 24 year old, newer hunter who needs to buy his first hunting rifle. I know the OP said he's O.K. with a little recoil. I don't care if he's a heavyweight boxer. He'll be much more likely set up for success, with the plethora of non-magnums mentioned in this thread than he ever would with a 7mm Magnum or 300 Winchester magnum. And no, his starting with the 7MM or 300WM is no guarantee of failure either. In my opinion, and it's only opinion, new rifle shooters are better off being started with lower recoiling rifles. Let him know that starting in such a manner is not a reflection on his manhood.

The fact that some on this forum started hunting with a 338 when they were 8 and still use the same now that they are 58 does not mean that they have defied or changed physics. I have never thought, even in my younger and higher testosterone fueled days, that everybody else SHOULD have the same recoil tolerance I have. Here endeth the rant.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ