Originally Posted by specneeds
So the overwhelming sentiment is lighter recoil is better. But he just killed a Turkey Saturday using a lightweight 12 ga shooting 3” magnum turkey loads. The recoil on that exceeds a 375H&H and hovers somewhere around 416 Remington that would be a good choice for elephant.

I realize 8-14 year olds need to be eased into higher recoiling firearms to avoid losing that love of shooting or developing a flinch.

Many if not all of the replies are from folks who own several rifles and assume that works best for everyone. That a really effective elk caliber is best purchased as a 2nd or 3rd rifle. I killed my first deer with a 30-30 like many kids when I weighed in at 125 lbs so I’m a product of that same advice.

When he asked me for one rifle for everything I actually believe that is what he wants since hunting isn’t his only hobby. In my opinion that do everything rifle is a 7mm or 300 of some flavor. But I’ll let him shoot 243, 6,5, 30-06, 7mm RM & a 300 Weatherby & let him choose where his comfort zone is.

Good, let him pick.

I’ve killed a few elk, using cartridges from 7mm-08 through the magnums, up to .300 Weatherby Mag. That one will kick your dick in the dirt, I can tell you.

None of the elk would have died any different if they’d been shot with the -08, but if he wants more I say let him choose.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001