Originally Posted by Tejano
Being a DIYer and Scotch and Welsh I started making my own. Basic formula is 1/3 each of: Beeswax, Pine Tar, & Neetsfoot oil, if this is too thick you can add turpentine after it is off the stove. You can add Carnuba wax for more durability and the designer stuff like vitamin E oil, bee propalis, cedar oil, and if you want it to soften the leather less use half linseed oil and half neetsfoot, the food grade stuff is the best for this. The pine tar makes it sticky so if you are not going to heat the boots then reduce the pine tar. After the heating of the boots wipe and buff them off well. If you want some color add some shoe polish.

Pure beeswax is the ticket for the best waterproofing but the home brew still allows the leather to breath and to not dry out.

For field treatment just get a tube of whatever is available and apply each night with a limited amount of campfire heat. I have found two coats of beeswax to last for about two years with Obenaufs or the home brew used once or twice a year in between, but I have not been in heavy Scree lately.

Originally Posted by Dansy
Too much lube? laugh

Better to grease your boots instead.

Thing I don't like about waxes is they block the block the leathers ability to breathe, why I fell in love with the birch tar. Waterproofs as good or better and no sweaty feet. Last time I used neatsfoot a bear stole my boots and chewed them lol.