Originally Posted by Daniel_Boone
Just my opinion - but I have been using Sno Seal for the past 20 years or more.

I had thrown away a pair of boots that had been my grandfathers 10 years before I got them - and the soles wore out before the leather uppers on a pair of felt pac boots - and they were not expensive boots.

I have used Camp Dry and other products and they do not work anywhere even near the Sno Seal.

If a person has a hot air forced furnace or coal furnace - they can put the boots over the register over night and the Bee's Wax will soak in.

I haven't ever seen anyone use a hair drier, and I see no reason for it. But I do not think that if you traveled in deep snow in cold temperatures that the Bee's Wax will last more then a couple of days per one application.

The problem is - getting the boots to dry between hunts - especially when you hunt every day like I do.
I usually manage to have several pairs of boots that I can wear that are water proof - that I can rotate - since my home is heated by hot water - baseboard heat and not by forced air.

I never really thought about what it does to Gor Tex - but that was a very good point - that it does not allow it to breathe, but if the leather was water proof to begin with - then you probably don't need to water proof it anyways.

I can remember being interviewed by Howe Leather Products - Curwensville PA back in the 90's and even back then they had a process for impregnating leather with silicone which would make it water proof for life.
Their biggest customer at that time was General Motors - they supplied the leather for the seats in new automobiles at that time.

So it stands to make me believe that when I buy a new pair of Rocky Boots or Carolina boots or Redwing boots - that it could be possible that the leather in those boots were also treated with some type of silicone and that adding water proofing before they started to leak might void the warranty or damage the water proofing already applied.

The one down side to applying the Sno Seal is that it makes my Lacross Ice King boots look Moldy when I take them out of the box - after they have been sitting in the box for a entire year.
But after putting a new coat of Sno Seal on the boots - they shine right up and look like new again.

You guys know this is Douchebeer posting under a new name, right?

Dude's got more chit in him than a feed lot.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...