Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Nikwax waterproofing wax for leather is a de-aromatised mix of petroleum distillates and paraffin wax from petroleum crude. Kenetrek recommends the beeswax mix because a petroleum based dressing may delaminate the glue bond on the Mountain Boots.
I find that recommendation interesting as when I bought my boots from them about 3-4yrs ago their recommendation was for Nikwax (waterproofer & cleaner) which they shipped to me with the boots. Wonder if their glue has changed or if they are just making more money selling a similar product?

I was told they had problems with delaminated glue bonds on customer boots so they now recommend using the beeswax stuff. The Nikwax contains up to 75% hazardous ingredients made up of petroleum distillates and petroleum wax biproducts from crude. There's not much room left over for water, so whatever water filler they use is very little. Different forms of petroleum mixed with wax work well at waterproofing many things, but I think one needs to consider it's effect on any materials that rely on a glue bond within its construction.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood