Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I would bet the boots had been treated with something else previously... Beeswax on new leather is far better than on any treated by another method. The solvents mess with the wax, I believe.

art

I think you are right. These boots came with some kind of wax impregnated in the leather and they never took beeswax as well as my previous experiences.

blush I will also fess up that the boots had been heavily used all summer and were due for a good waterproofing treatment before the trip. I got too busy and thought that I could wax them at a cabin we turned out never using. So my question about how to apply in the field is due to preparation negligence on my part, not failure of the beeswax.

There is no question that beeswax lasts longer and protects leather better than anything else I've used, and I've tried most of the potions mentioned here. Never tried the Montana pitch blend stuff.

Those who like Snowseal have a wonderful exprience ahead of them because there are a number of products WAY better. My love affair and disillusionment with Snowseal all happened in the early 70's.

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/15/10.