I wear a lot of gore-tex boots too, but am somewhat disappointed in their effectiveness. I find them fine for snow and crossing an occassional stream, but lacking in really constant wet conditions.

I do a lot of prairie restoration work in the midwest. We (partner and I) start early in the morning when the vegetation is absolutely saturated and spend several hours a day in this stuff, generally getting saturated up to our upper thighs. Most gore-tex boots seem to break down after about a month of this, even the high dollar ones (Danners, Vasque, etc.). Rubber bottom boots won't take the constant thorns and rocks. Rubber packs cause our feet to sweat so much in the heat (90 degrees +) that our feet get as soaked as they do when we wear leaky boots.

I have even seen some guys try waders. They get torn up pretty fast and the sweating problem gets severe. After a few years of this we have given up, wear leaky boots, and let our feet get wet!

Luckily, this is a post-retirement job and I can quit anytime and remain financially stable. As long as the pleasure and satisfaction I gain from my work outweigh the damn wet feet, I will stick with it!

Last edited by InTheWoods; 12/27/11.