Watch the video at the following link:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1315817391?bctid=68850608001

I do believe that everyone involved in the manufacturing and selling of top end backpacking boots recommend some form of beeswax based product for leather treatment and waterproofing. I don't think anyone recommends the use of any heat or any product that may break down the support of the leather or prematurely break down the leather and reduce its serviceable life. I think Lanthrop and Sons favors Grangers wax while AJ Brooks favors Meidl wax. They may be the exact same product in different packages, but both differ from straight and pure beeswax in that they want the wax formula to allow the leather to breath to some degree. There are several other popular waxes used but they all appear to be based off beeswax with a blend designed to meet Meindl specs.

I've been using Montana Pitch Blend since it was first marketed back in the '80s. I like this product as it is also beeswax based and is blended without silicone, petroleum, alcohol, or chemicals. But, it may tend to make leather a bit more supple due to the mink oil content when compared to some of the other wax products noted. You may not want to soften your heavy duty backpacking boots and lose too much support. In that case, I'd defer to their recommendation based on the leather used by the manufacturer.

The trend today is to use top grade premium leather that receives a heavy duty treatment. The boot is then given a heavy duty rand coating of truck bedliner which completely seals the leather under the outside rand. This trend is for those who need a tough boot to withstand rock cuts into the leather while side hilling. On these boots, it is impossible to apply treatment to the leather underneath the bedliner. And you would not want to break down the exposed leather with any oil based product that would reduce boot stiffness.

As to the Sno Seal, it is 65% beeswax with 35% mineral spirits. The complaint with Sno Seal is not in its use of beeswax, its in its use of mineral spirits and its recommendation to heat the leather. I think all the major wax products such as Grangers contain some amount of Naptha, but their blends differ as the Sno Seal prevents all breathing within the leather.

As another option, more than a few fire jumpers and loggers recommend Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP. Like the Montana Pitch Blend, it does not contain any hazardous materials per the MSDS.

Best:)

Last edited by GaryVA; 12/15/10.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood