After 6 pages of blabber the suggestion of a 1-4x20mm isn't bad, The FOV is large and staying on a running coyote pretty easy and enough room to spot an opening ahead of him for a shot. Have one pop up at your shoelaces and he's a dead dog 300 yards on 4x is still a chip shot. Feel like your limiting yourself with a 1-4, 2-10x40 0r 2.5-10x40 with a BDC will get you to 400 with ease. I find a scope with a minimum of a 40' FOV on the bottom end to be a pretty good predator hunting scope for most situations. Keep it on the bottom power and largest FOV for those coyotes that just seem to appear out of nowhere and if they are out aways you can turn the scope up. Rule of thumb " There is always time to turn a scope up, never time to turn it down".

Most of my coyote hunting rifles wear 1.5-6x40mm scopes, my combo guns 1-4x20mm, I do have a couple that have 2.5-8/10's on them but rarely take them out.

1.5-6x40mm Burris
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

1.5-6x40mm Meopta

1-4x20mm on combo gun

2.5-8x?mm old Baush & Lomb

Out to 400 yards shooting heavies out of a fast twist 22-250/220 Swift isn't going to give you any advantage, a 50gr NBT out of a 22-250 at 400 is deadly on coyotes and very flat shooting.

Last edited by erich; 04/16/20.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders