Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Hah, which brand and model would you like to discuss? I work with a variety on a regular basis.

Those that the biggest knobs don't change the X and Y scale values on the display.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

There is a lot to be said for KISS. I've seen critters missed cleanly by nervous hunters holding elevation with SFP scopes, where the hunter forgot to crank to the proper magnification in the heat of the moment. The subtensions in FFP reticles are consistent and remove one more variable that one has to keep in mind when making a shot.

Well those who lack training and shooting skills should try to Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS).

Those willing to up their game can take advantage of more sophisticated systems and can operate at higher levels.

Again I am not judging your lack of knowledge or shooting skill and I totally understand some shooters will never be able to manage magnification under stress.

Just Sayin.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you realize that "X and Y" are time and voltage scales. But I guess you missed the part about continuous variables versus discrete variables. Read my post again and you might catch on.

No, it has nothing to do with lacking training. It has to do with optimizing the complexity of the system so that it's as simple as possible while retaining sufficient adaptability and precision for the intended purposes. Anybody with any training in any field knows this. All human minds work more efficiently and effectively with a less-complex system versus one that is unnecessarily complicated. I've trained quite a bit with both SFP and FFP reticles, and know the advantages and disadvantages of each. I'm perfectly comfortable varying the subtensions of my reticle with a SFP scope using magnification, if needed, but I'm also readily willing to admit that FFP is the better mousetrap for such applications.

By your logic, it would "up your game" to convince your supplier to come out with a scope with variable erector increments so you could "operate at higher levels". After all, according to you the ability to vary the subtensions in your reticle is advantageous, so why wouldn't the ability to vary the turret increment values also be an advantage? More complexity is not always better.

Either way. I'm happy for you if you like the fact that your reticle's subtensions depend on the scope's magnification setting. But don't feed me BS and try to convince me it's chocolate ice cream. Training with and using FFP scopes hasn't prevented me from achieving excellence in competitive environments nor in the hunting fields, so regardless of how you spin it, FFP works at the highest level of precision and shooting skill I require. I'll readily admit that SFP reticles do have some very specific advantages over FFP designs in certain applications (like 1000 yard BR where distance and magnification are constants, or gopher shooting at ELR; in either case crosshair subtension needs to be minimized), but for general-purpose hitting of 0.5+ MOA targets from PBR to 1500+ meters, a well-designed FFP reticle is the easy choice for me.