Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Came across another Leup that has some internal zero shift induced by recoil. Fired several 5-shot groups at 100 meters from a very accurate .308 with a Mk4 8.5-25x50 on top, followed by a Hensoldt 3-12x. Most guys would never know the Leup has an issue and would think that the rifle/ammo is simply capable of ~1 MOA precision. The fired groups were revealing. Here are a couple of sample groups that are representative:

Leup:
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Hensoldt:
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
The Leupold group would be plenty good enough to fill every deer tag I'm ever going to get. Don't even need that good really. I have no interest in shooting "steel" or any other target from a distance at which I'll never shoot game. It serves no purpose for me and targets, steel or otherwise, don't make good stew.

Either is probably good enough for most hunters, which is kind of my point. Leupold can get away with building their erector mechanisms such that they have a 0.5 MOA tolerance in zero shift, and most guys won't notice or complain. But a very accurate rifle can bring such things to light. Just because the zero shift doesn't pose a problem for a particular hunting style, doesn't mean that the shift isn't there.