Well I run a few Ruger #1s in various calibers and I like he "S" model the best as far as looks go. However even the "A" model is a tad heavy. My favorite in the "A" is in 7x57. My "S" is a .300 Win' Mag. The actions on the #1 are rather heavy. My Browning B70 is in 30-06 and it too is heavier than I now care for.

The two cartridges I have interest in these days are the 7x57 and .280 Remington. I can easily get 7-08 velocity from my Winchester M70 Featherweight and even slightly surpass them with some loads. My .280 is a tad on the heavy side but is very accurate.

Probably if money were no object, I'd look at a Dakota in say 7x57 or maybe .the .280 and not look back. Then there are the European single shots but like the Dakota way to pricey for my pocket book. I can still dream though. Good luck on finding exactly what you want.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE