Things are different here, never met an Indian farmer. But then the last real Indian I saw was in front of the Sportsman's Bar before it closed. Some claim more than half but I'm not so sure. The Sissetonai (people of the fishing village) and Wahpetonai (shooters among the leaves) were a smart and well lead people and were given some dandy land for a reservation.

Don't recall the year but the tribe helped put down a band of renegades who were terrorizing Minnesota. In recognition tribal members were allowed to claim acreage in fee. After perfecting their claim they could sell it with the approval of the Dept. of Interior. You can see the attempted ripoffs in the title abstracts. I'm sitting on what was a 200 acre tree claim.

And so the res diminished But the land remained Indian Country and under jurisdiction of the tribe whether owned individually (by tribal members) or collectively. So over the generations we have a real checkerboard of jurisdiction and ownership. Some titles have a list of owners like a phone book.The only real option is to lease all those little parcels to an operator. That's where the industrious Scandinavian immigrants come in.

With a little cooperation it's worked out rather well

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.