Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You cant be a success on the Rez....or at least its very difficult.

Even with some exclusive advantages.

Unless it's your family's turn to control the tribal council. It's the environment. Had a young well educated guy get elected as chairman, everybody had high hopes. Ended up convicted of embezzling funds from some government program for the tribe. It's tempting with the feds tossing money around and it's been done sine there were reservations. A big pot of money, from far away (not our money) no safeguards, helluva temptation.

My favorite story comes from the bag plant. The tribe built a plastic bag plant - think trash bags - that came with government contracting advantages. Knew a guy they hired to keep the machinery running. Why they couldn't find a tribal member with sufficient ability to keep the machinery running, or the desire to learn, I don't know. Anyway one of the employees stumbles in drunk one morning and passes out on the break room floor. Fired. His defense was, " What do you mean? I showed up for work, I was here!" An uncle I think) was on the tribal council and he got his job back. And for all it's advantages the bag plant can't make money on a competitive basis.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.