I hope not. 7mm-08 is still pretty high on my list of wants.

I honestly don't think it is going to go away. However, it may fall into semi-obscurity for a while-- kind of the way 300 Savage did.

I was going to buy a Savage 99. My buddy who used to be a gun rag editor told me to stay away from 300 Savage, because it was going to become an orphan. True, in the early 2000's most folks were shying away from it. It was getting harder to find factory fodder. Savage had stopped making 99's, and the bulk of their last rifles were in 308 WIN. I bought a 308 WIN Savage 99 instead, and learned to download it to 300 Savage levels. It's still one of my favorite deer rifles.

However, within a few years, 300 Savage made a comeback. It's still out there. Folks are still interested in it. It isn't dead and it probably is not going to be.

I see 7mm-08 kind of going the same way. Both can use ubiquitous 308 brass. 7mm bullets are almost as ubiquitous as .308. There is no special treatment needed. It may fall out of favor with some gunmakers. However, some will probably keep it around, because it is one of the better chamberings for their rifles (Browning BLR's for an example).

For me, I want to start playing with 7mm-08 when my 30-06 rifles start getting hard to shoot. I'm approaching 62. I've already hit my highwater mark for recoil. Eventually, I'll not be as interested in my stable of aught-sixes and I'll start seriously dabbling in things that are easier on the shoulder. 7mm-08 will be top of my list.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer