Originally Posted by Filaman
[quote=colorado87]I'm not asking if 7mm-08 is a good cartridge or an effective one. I'm pretty convinced that it is. I'm thinking about its future in light of the 6.5 Creedmoor. For someone who doesn't reload, I'm not sure what the 7mm-08 offers that the 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't offer with more ammo availability. I'm only guessing, but it seems like the 7mm-08 section at Cabela's and Scheels is getting smaller and smaller by the year.

What does the 7mm-08 provide that the 6.5CM doesn’t? Heavier bullets for larger game. For the factory ammo shooter, finding ammo loaded with the heavies can be an issue, though. Most factory ammo is 140g and under.

What does the 6.5CM offer? Far more choices for factory ammo and rifles. Midwayusa lists 83 different types of factory ammo for the 6.5CM versus 30 types for the 7mm-08. Plinking ammo for the 6.5CM starts at $13.99/box , ammo for the 7mm-08 at %17.99/box. Hunting ammo starts at $15.99 vs $23.99 respectively. Options for premium bullets are about the same for both. Most rifle manufacturers offer a variety of options for the 6.5CM with 7mm-08 options much more limited. Ruger lists 29 rifles in 6.5CM, 6 in 7mm-08. Savage lists 57 and 34 respectively. Kimber offers far more 6.5CM options than 7mm-08.

From a predominately target use perspective, I think the 6.5CM is a hands down winner. From a predominately hunting perspective, use a microscope to find the differences.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.