Originally Posted by colorado87
I'm not asking if 7mm-08 is a good cartridge or an effective one. I'm pretty convinced that it is. I'm thinking about its future in light of the 6.5 Creedmoor. For someone who doesn't reload, I'm not sure what the 7mm-08 offers that the 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't offer with more ammo availability. I'm only guessing, but it seems like the 7mm-08 section at Cabela's and Scheels is getting smaller and smaller by the year.

This is my second response to this thread. I think the immense popularity of the Crudmoor is a fad thing. It's probably here to stay and I can see it is a very useful round, I just doubt it's really better than some older cartridges. I think a lot of its popularity is largely due to market hype. It answered one particular question or rather resolved one issue. It allows bullets to be seated out farther than does a .260 Remington and that only in a short action like the Remington 700 Short Action. If you build one on an intermediate or long action you can get more performance out of the .260. Does it really have that many more bullet choices? And how many different bullets do you need? This was one argument against the .270 up until a few years back. Now there's plenty of bullets available for it. Also, the 7mm-08 has as many I believe. And as I said, How many bullets do you need? Even back in the 80s and 90s I hunted with the .270 and only needed a couple of weights. Sometimes I think that bullet availability argument is over blown for argument sake.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!