Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Personally, I don't believe in the "racist" thing.

I do believe the dogs I've had were/are very attuned to the appearance of any person, until they become accustomed to said person.

When one lives in an all white household, in a predominantly white neighborhood, what does one expect of their dog upon meeting a person who looks entirely different?

Our dogs now, have no problem with our black neighbor, they like him when he comes over, as he did for Thanksgiving dinner. Then again, he's a nice negro, right?

I've had more than one dog, as I'm sure others on here have, that did not like folks in uniform. Coppers, Postal workers (reason to be afraid there? shocked ), UPS, FedEx, Meter readers, etc.

Over the years our dogs have warned us of folks acting "weird", as in behavior that didn't seem what normal folks should be doing.

Had one great dog, never could understand why he did not like folks wearing hats. Given that I wear hats all the time, even indoors (I've got a ball cap on as I type this). Was he trying to tell me something? I was awfully tough on that dog for a few years.

But "racist"? Not mine at least.

We lived in a very small, rural town in western Maine where there was only one black family in the entire town consisting of the mother and two daughters. One of the daughters was high school classmates with my own daughter. On occasion she would bring a bunch of them over the house like HS girls do. My German Shepherd (in the previous pic I posted) would come unglued at the site of her.

No problems whatsoever with the other girls as he acted normally when around them - a big teddy bear. But he absolutely hated that girl and we had to be careful whenever she was around. I could never reason why. She was a nice kid and it always made me feel bad. Happened a few other times similar situations. Only thing I could figure is he just wasn’t used to seeing them or maybe they were afraid of him.

The dog probably just reacted to a person with a color it was not used to. A dog acting unusual may not necessarily be reacting to a person because they are bad and may just be reserving the right to act up in the presence of someone or anything unusual.

My Jules, dont run the vaccumn cleaner near her.

My Babe had been badly mistreated before i rescued her. She would jump up on the couch and lay by me, but it was 6 mo before she ever wagged her tail and for 2 years she didnt like me walking in the room with a hat and sunglasses on.

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/08/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin