Originally Posted by Jaaack
Yes, the photo with the tall leaf is a Lyman #6. It was superceded by the Lyman #16 in 1955.

The link Calhoun provided should enable you to identify the tang sight. Lyman 1A and 2A are not windage adjustable. Lyman 29 1/2 and 30 1/2 are windage adjustable. All of these tang sights were discontinued by 1955.

And yes, these sights were all after market.

Thanks; that pretty much narrows it down to the #6, the #1A (it's not windage adjustable)... and the G&H scope mount.

If all after-market, I would therefore guess that maybe all the sights/mounts were installed by G&H... or maybe some local gunsmith, but I wonder if perhaps that'd be the less likely of the two... since G&H told me the normal procedure involved taking the scope apart to slip it into the one-piece rings they used at the time (and then putting the scope back together). Hmm... or maybe Weaver did work like that back then? I could maybe learn more by asking G&H, in case they have records.

(When I asked them some years ago about how to change to a new scope, they supplied two-piece rings, but I didn't think to ask a more pointed question about whether they actually did the initial install, and if so, when... and if so, now I would ask if they installed the Lyman sights, too.)

Back to the "R" thing. I said before, I just guessed at the model, not really knowing how to identify.. Is it really an "R"? If not, what model would it be with a 1948 serial number and the rounded forend? How to tell?

-Chris

Last edited by Ranger4444; 07/12/20.