I'll give pictures a try:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Looks more like your '30s pic, I think. The vertical line up near the tip of the forend is similar. Swivel mount placement is slightly different, though. As shown, the set-up weighs approx 8½-lbs, unloaded.

I've asked G&H if they have records for work done back then. Won't know for a while if they have time to look, are willing to look, have records to review, etc.

They did supply me with their newer two-piece scope rings for the side mount, some number of years ago, don't remember exactly when that was. It lets me easily swap in a Leupold 1.5-5x20, brighter and with a much more visible reticle than the original Weaver K2.5 (which isn't horrible in the first place). I'd almost be tempted to leave the Leupold on there most of the time, but the black aluminum doesn't look all that great compared to the original Weaver blued steel.

There's a "story" about the Weaver. The first year I used this rifle for deer hunting in upstate PA... the top half of the scope mount, with scope, dismounted itself while I was trudging out to find a likely place to stand. Got to the stand, discovered the scope missing, had a heart attack (Grandad's rifle!), back-tracked myself, found the scope and mount... in the road, with tire tracks over it. Gak! Anyway, that explains the couple of "dimples" in the scope, from tire studs. Still works fine, though. Took me almost all day to calm down after that, I think...

-Chris

Last edited by Ranger4444; 07/14/20.