Ah. I misunderstood what you meant earlier about the G&H mount screws. Yep, quite a difference between what I thought was "ground down and blued" versus almost invisible as in your pic.

So not factory (Savage) or G&H installed. I can think of who might have done (or commissioned) the work locally back then, but they're out of business so no way to follow up on that. I did get an answer from G&H, but they only were able to say they don't have records from that far back.

I guess if the Lyman #1A was installed because of the scope (makes sense), then I imagine it would have been mounted in the same tang screws used for the original Redfield sight.

I didn't think to remove the slink to better illustrate the sling swivel studs, but they are indeed flat, as in your pic. The sling itself is also original.

Originally Posted by Calhoun

SWEET! That's a new one, it being above 500,000. It answers the question of what was Savage sending out as R's for those couple of years.

Here's a 1930's 99RS without swivels or sling:

I'm a little unclear what your meant by "sending out as R's for those couple of years."

I thought you were leaning toward mine being an RS? Or did they not catalog an RS in 1948? So this might be the 1948 version of an R, instead? Or...?

-Chris

Last edited by Ranger4444; 07/15/20.