Originally Posted by Calhoun
Thanks for the update on the barrel address. That's an odd place to be stamped X.. but it's just an assembly stamp to the best of our knowledge.

Something like "this receiver is ready for the next step" or some such? Makes sense...

Originally Posted by Rick99

We need to know what the butt plate on 5037xx looks like to determen if the butt is an R or EG. Also, " The forearm itself has no markings, no serial number, etc." so the forearm might have been changed sometime after the factory.

Here's a pic of the butt plate:

[Linked Image]

5037xx is 4.86" tall, 1.6" wide.

I've had this in my possession since approx '74 when my Grandad first let me use it to hunt whitetail in PA... excepting our short tour in Germany in early '80s. When he first gave it to me, he told me all the reasons why the M99 was better than a Winchester M94 and all the reasons why the .300 Savage was better than the .30-30. smile

I don't have previous history, but I never knew him to buy "used" stuff so would assume this was purchased new, and likely at Em-Roe's Sporting Goods in downtown Indianapolis. He apparently had no qualms about schnabel foreends, since he also had a Winchester M70 Featherweight with a schnabel... so I doubt he would have changed anything from original... or at least as it was when he got it.

Did the various model letters have additional meaning? R = rifle? RS = rifle with extra sights? E = Excellent? EG = Excellent Gun? H = Hot Stuff? Et cetera? smile

-Chris

Last edited by Ranger4444; 07/23/20.