I've bought a couple 99s in the past two weeks. Both are 99E models and one is .308 and the other is .243. The .308 has a LBC of 23T in the oval and the serial is 11248XX. I believe the LBC denotes a 1966 manufacture. But, the LBC on the .243 is very worn and very hard to read. It appears to be a "1" in front of well, that's the rub. I just can't positively make it out.

At first look through my jeweler's loupe, it looked like a N(1962), but the serial is higher than the '66, 11371XX. It also could be a "U" if you squint just right, lol. That would indicate 1967, right? I was told by the previous owner that he thought his father-in-law had bought it in the mid to late 60s. This .243 wears a Lyman All-American 4X Perma Center scope. It also looks like the oval is oriented differently, with the '66 oval laid out vertical up the lever boss while the other seems to go horizontally across the lever boss. Is that possible? Thanks for your help with this.
Gary

Last edited by Texgunner; 02/20/14.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."