My father was a GM of a Chevy dealership in the mid-‘60’s to mid-70’s so I got to see some good ones. For a couple of summers I worked as a “Lot Boy”, starting all the used cars in the AM, detailing used cars, prepping new cars, sweeping out the body shop, you name it.

A local drag racer ordered a ‘69 (?) Camaro with what, IIRC, had a 396cid engine with a claimed 375 horsepower . For insurance purposes I think it was down-rated from 425 HP. When it came in, my father asked me if I wanted to drive it? 😁 Of course I took him up on it. Now this sucker had a clutch that was either “on” or “off”...no slipping this baby as you started moving. Pulling out of the lot on a side street, I “chirped” the tires a bit 😀 and my Dad got a little excited. That sucker wanted to run.

Also got to drive a used first year Corvette. Rode like a go kart with no suspension and didn’t really have too much muscle. The owner’s son had a 427, 435 HP tri-power with the side pipes and I got to drive it too. Loved those side pipes.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.