Originally Posted by KFWA
in the early 90's I had a twin turbo 300zx.By some of the cars mentioned here it wasn't much but it was 300HP

that was a big deal back then. Now I have 3 cars in the drive that are 300HP, and none of them are considered fast.

I was in high-school in the early 90's and I lusted after the 300ZX, Toyota Supra, and the Mitsubishi 3000GT. I grew up in central ND, there were almost no "Supercars", and the few that were around, everybody knew who owned them so they were fairly docile about driving them.

I have a '37 Chevy Coupe with a SB 406 that's ~400HP mated to a Tremec 5spd and a '57Chevy posi-rear w/3:55's. It's ~2800# and reasonably quick once it hooks up. 1st gear is all spin, 2nd is mostly spin but at least you're moving forward, 3rd gear will get you to 80MPH+. I've had it to 100MPH a few times, and there's certainly more "go" left (like 2K more RPM if it'll pull it), but, the rest of the car isn't really built to go that fast and it' a handful @ that speed. The fastest way to "turn" the car is to get on the gas and drift the rear until the front is pointed where you want to go then back out enough to hook up then stand back on it.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.