Originally Posted by badger
Fastest I've driven was in a BMW M1 in South Africa. About 174 mph on a slight downhill on the rev limiter in 5th gear. Very stable, but very noisy with the mid-engine right behind your ears.

Most fun in an analog era car was a 1997 RUF CTR2. Around 500hp in a 3000lb car.

Fastest off the line is a 2019 BMW M5 Competition with our Noelle Performance Tune. 850hp in an all wheel drive 4 door sedan. 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. Very impressive. Customer's car that he took from us to the strip and turned in a 10.9 second 1/4.

No question that today's digital computers on wheels deliver performance that we could only dream of 20-30 years ago, but they don't have the soul, or the durability of the muscle cars of the 80's and 90's. I'll keep my 1985 BMW M635Csi. I know it's not fast by today's standards, but it talks to me when I drive it.

badger;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's been a good one for you folks on the other coast and you and your fine family are well.

Thanks for chiming in as I was hoping you'd do so and give your perspective.

When I was in the storage business, we'd move customers cars when we had to access other units. Primarily we stored boats and RV's but cars were the "filler in the rows" for us.

Anyway because of that I can say that I've driven some fast BMW's - one was a 2 door, I want to say maybe a hard top convertible, but the owner had purchased it at the factory in Germany where they'd insured it for 2 weeks so he could drive it on the Autobahn. He said he'd never drive it that fast again in Canada!!

So while I've driven that BMW, 458 Ferrari, some fast Vettes and even a '69 472"Hemi Charger RT, I was very, VERY careful to never exceed what was a slow walk so perhaps 3mph as I was indoors and all. grin

You're right that the new technology with the AWD and traction control is such a game changer now, but like you they don't really "speak to me" in the same way.

To the OP, I was at the wheel of a 3 year old Tesla, though exactly which one now escapes me - sorry. The owner was beside me and insisted I do a full launch which I did and I'd say we were doing 60mph in less than 100yds easily. Was sorta crazy how fast we got going.

Oh, last story quickly - one of my clients had the faster model Corvette perhaps 3 years old, but that was 2 years ago as well so a 2015ish we'll say.

He said that when he bought it, GM had a deal where they'd help pay to send you to a driving school in Nevada I think he said, where you'd learn to handle the new car you bought.

This chap was an Alberta oilman, quite colorful like some are wont to be, and suggested that while he couldn't do it, his driving instructor took an identical car to his from 0 to 60mph to 0 in something close to 7 seconds.

He suggested nobody should drive one on the street without lessons because, "If I stand on this thing, by the time I've hauled it back down I've gone 2 blocks and run over 3 dogs, a cat and the mailman!"

Thanks for your input badger and all the best to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"