I got into Ruger #1s back in 1975 with a #1B in 30-06. It was the first one I'd even laid eyes on. I always preferred the looks of the #1S so when I ordered another in .300 Win. Mag. they distributor sent a B model. My LGS called about the mistake and was told, that was all there was available, take it or send it back. I took it. Turned out that with the old Nosler 200 gr. semi-round nose Partitions it would shoot .375" groups when I did my part. Funny thing is I never could get the 06 to do a decent group while the .300 was excellent in that aspect. It also shoots the 200 gr. Speer Hot cores int .50", again when I do my part. It was a while before I got another, this time a #1A in 7x57. A total scattergun. 8" groups on a good day. I had my gunsmith check it out and after a chamber cast we found a throat more than 2" in length. Talk about free bore. Sent it back to Ruger with the gunsmith's report and when it came back it had a new barrel. Runs about one inch most of he time depending on the load. I've picked up a few more over the years and now have them from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby. Ruger rally should have spent them money on those harder kicking rifle with decent recoil pads rather that the skimpy little red thing they used.
Probably my favorites of the ones I have are that 7x57 I mentioned and a black pad S model I found in .300 Win. Mag. It's as accurate as the early #1B and in the configuration I like best. And before anyone asks, I hunted with then almost exclusively until 2009. In 2010 I started doing a ranch hunt and single shot rifles were verboten. I also quit hunting he place but it suits me as an easy hunt now that I'm somewhat handicapped. Methinks come the next hunt I'll take the #1 and just sat I was burglarized and it's the only gun I have left. What can they say?
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE