I've always enjoyed the quaint connection between CA and the UK, for that matter between the US and the UK, as well, to include deference toward the royal family. In spite of modern global politics and governance I don't regard the monarchy as a worthless relic. Historical roots are best mended in modern times to keep hold of valuable history, nationalism, and contemporary alliances, within reason. Not sure that would put me in the mindset of the 'monarchist' group, but perhaps it does. I am not sure it is worth the 50 mil annual price tag, but, that is for the Canadians to decide.

I can certainly understand the erosion of support, which is clearly evident even within the UK, but there are many things we don't hear about that the royals in England do, perhaps more out of self-preservation than altruism, whatever. The fact is they still hold sway in many parts of the world, and with that they can, and have, made good things happen. Even though the relevency is diminished, I think the remaining benevolent monarchies around the world are institutions to be preserved within the modern context, and the concept is not nearly lost as much outside the West.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]