Originally Posted by sse
I always thought Canada was sort of a brake on what we did down here foolishly.

By any interpretation i think that is a gross misunderstanding. Very liberal up there, reflected by election outcomes, with the possible exception of Stephen Harper, a few others.

sse;
Good evening and Happy New Year to you sir, I hope that the day treated you acceptably and you and those who matter in your world are well.

With the understanding that I'm not attempting to argue the point that we're overpopulated with left leaning individuals up here, I'd perhaps offer a few clarifications as to why the election outcomes up here don't really reflect what you think they might.

The country is set up with regional ridings, which are as you'll soon see the size of which are hotly contested. What the current system ends up doing is having for instance the lesser populated but still politically powerful Atlantic provinces have more seats in parliament and ridings than we do out west.

One western MP put it this way, one vote in Prince Edward Island is worth 4 votes in Saskatchewan, Alberta or BC..... neat, eh?

Up until the beer flu hit us, BC had a larger GDP than all of the Atlantic Provinces combined, but are still viewed as a "have" province and so pay into the federal transfer tax system and don't receive like they do way out on the east coast.

Then there's the multi party system we've got, where the Parti Quebecois - whose sole purpose is to take Quebec out of Confederation and bleed as much federal transfer money out of the rest of Canada in the meantime, are given national political party status even though they're a strictly regional party. There is then the Progressive Conservative party - Stephen Harper's - the Liberals and the New Democratic Party which are in a full on race for most woke and left leaning and in some areas such as Vancouver Island the Green Party has made inroads.

When current Prince Sparkle Socks was recently elected, he got only 33.12% of the popular vote, while the leader of the PC's got 34.3%, but wasn't able to form a government because the NDP formed a bit of a coalition with the Crown Prince - bringing their 15.9% of the vote along with them.

Please note that as far as I can recall, there were no - that is none, zero, zip - Liberal MLA's elected west of Manitoba..... neat once again, eh?

Anyways, I share all this not to send sour or any other grapes out into the ether space. Rather sir, my wish is to make the point that Canadian election results and the comparative liberal or left leaning tendencies of Canadians aren't necessarily related.

Thanks for reading this far and all the best to you in 2021.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"