The late great Col. Townsend Whelen once said, "The 30-06 is never a mistake." That was a long time ago. Probably even before I was born. (1938) The point is I believe that statement still holds true. Powerful enough for North American big game and a good on most African game when push comes to shove. Modern premium bullets make it even better that in Col. Whelen's day.

I guess is I were to try and count back, most of the deer I've killed over 60+ years of hunting have been with the 30-6 and the .308 probably in second place. These's even some with the .270 and 30-30 in that pile of dead deer. I probably have more rifles in 30-06 in my collection than anything else which runs from .22 Hornet to the .416 Rigby. I've used the .270 a time or three and currently have a running love affair with the .35 Whelen for my elk hunts. Funny thing though. Regardless of whatever I take on a hunt, the back up rifle is usually something in 30-06.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE