Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by jwall
gnoahh

Yes I understand what you are saying AND
maybe they didnt want to reveal what they were doing ? ?

BUT I’ve really looked a lot of places and ‘so far’ I have not found 1 source
that said or showed the 8x57 case’s relativity to the 06.

30-40 K, > 30-03 > 30-06 is substituted.

I really am looking for an authoritative source to verify what some folks
are saying.

Without a reliable source the claim is
Poppycock...to me.

Thanks for your ideas.

Jerry

We copied the Mauser rifle and it’s cartridge so closely that we lost a court case and were ordered to pay royalties to the Mauser company. Same rim, same case head diameter, same body taper, and same neck angle. We weren’t into metrics, so it was in .30 caliber instead of 7 or 8 mm. We lengthened it a bit, probably to try to get a few differences so we could try to avoid some of those royalties instead of for any performance gain. Or, maybe it took a little more length to get 7.92x57 velocities with a slightly smaller in diameter bullet of nearly equivalent weight. In any case, the performance was an almost identical match for the 7.92x57 in a cartridge that was obviously developed from it. When the Germans changed to a 153 grain spitzer in 1903 increasing the velocity of their cartridge to about 2,700 feet per second, we followed suit a few years later and the 30-06 was born with almost identical numbers once again.

That was a lawsuit involving the Springfield 1903 and the Mauser 98. Mauser won the lawsuit and Springfield had to pay royalties until August 1914 when WW1 started.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken