Originally Posted by mrmarklin
The reality is that the .308 Win. is better than the 30-06. Period.

It is more accurate. One never sees the older cartridge in any serious competition.

“Better” is a qualitative term which requires value judgement based on a set of one or more specifications, whether those specifications are based on wants, needs, personal preference or some other requirement.

As such, your statement may be true for you, but that does not make it a universal truth. Period.

Match shooting imposes a different set of requirements than does hunting. Differences in SAAMI twist and pressure specifications also impose practical limits for the majority of shooters who use factory rifles and ammo. The 12 twist of the .308 limits its ability to stabilize the heavier bullets – hence the lack of factory .308 hunting ammo for them.

The .308 Win is more “efficient” but even in factory ammo with its lower SAAMI pressures, the .30-06 launches lightweight bullets up to 200fps faster and the midweight bullets up to 100fps faster. Hand loaders can easily and safely push .30-06 pressures to .308 Win levels for even more performance gains.

Lower recoil is one reason many people prefer the .308. This is important to some, especially match shooters. For hunting, not so much. The fact that some cartridges are more popular than the .30-06 for match shooting doesn’t enter into my calculations as to what best suits my hunting needs.

Both of my current .308’s are short barreled rifles – an AR10 with a 18” and a Ruger Scout with a 16.1”. Both were chosen for specific reasons and both meet the requirements better than would a .30-06. My three .30-06 rifles are all sport 22” barrels and meet my hunting requirements better than did the two 22” .308’s I’ve had but sold or traded.

There is no practical difference for my needs between the accuracy potential of a .308 Win and .30-06. Differences in individual rifles, scopes and ammo choices make far greater differences. I frequently use my stainless/boat-paddle Ruger MKII .30-06 to shoot the 5” steel at 600 yards, with a hit rate that is as good as any of the .308’s I’ve owned. If I want extreme accuracy, though, I’ll go to my heavy barrel rifles chambered for 6.5CM or 6.5-06AI.

While both the .308 Win and .30-06 are fine cartridge cartridges, neither is universally “better” than the other. Or better than any other cartridge for that matter.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.