Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I'm not going to say it's the best, but it's a long way from being the worst. If I had to pick one cartridge for the US it would be the 30-06. If I had to pick one rifle for the US it would be a Ruger Stainless Mark II with a skeleton stock. Same combination I used for 30 years in Alaska. I trust it to handle anything.

I have been a paddle stock user for years. Picked up a .30-06 this year that shoots everything well and the stuff it likes really well. Have loads for 125 Ballistic Tips (reduced), 150 TTSX at full throttle, and a 165 NAB at comfortable but upper end velocities. It was just no trick getting anything to shoot around an inch or less. If I had more time I would probably have a 180 grain load worked up also. A 168 TSX or TTSX loaded hot or a 180 accubond would probably be about as versatile of a load as you could get within typical hunting ranges if looking for a one load to do it all.

Getting ready for an elk hunt tomorrow and was looking at my paddle stock .30-06, paddle stock .300, paddle stock .35 Whelen and a .30 Gibbs project rifle I have been playing with. Getting tired of the extra pound on the .300 and the 24" barrel is a pain in the timber. The Gibbs may go tomorrow for the novelty but I am having a legitimate internal conversation about why I really have any of them other then the .30-06.