Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
this has been an informative topic as I have a .375 and I hunt in alaska from time to time with my son. However, I now realize that my rifle is woofully inadequate as it has way more negatives than positives and I don't want to spend the additional couple thousand dollars to make it what it should be. Here is what it is with all its deficits:

1) 1953 M70 with the original barrel (25")
2) the original wood stock although it is bedded
3) it weighs somewhere around 10 lbs. or maybe a little more
4) the scope is a lowly old 3x leupold
5) its not stainless steel
6) it has no rear sight

I was actually going to take it with me on our brown bear hunt last april but because of the covid it got postponed. At least now I have another year or more to either get another rifle or spend the big bucks to have this one so modified.
I have no doubt that the perfect .375 as described is a much better tool for the job, but I just don't want to spend the money (2K?) to make it what it should be. Recommendations?

Assuming you generally like the rifle, and assuming it shoots minute of bear/moose...

Could be inexpensive to do minor mods. Live with #1, #2, #3, and #5. Keep it dry as best you can, and give it some TLC every night.

If the (#4) scope mounts aren't already some kind of QD system, maybe change to that. If there's a front sight, get a bolt-on peep sight (#5) that mounts on the rear base when the scope is dismounted and that works with your existing front sight.

Unless all that interferes with your real desire to make major modifications or buy a new rifle...

-Chris