Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
As it turns out it was just crud to clean off. It came off fairly easily with some bore cleaner and a toothbrush or pipe cleaner and I don't see any after effects of it.

However....

While cleaning the whole thing I noticed a peculiar sound running a bore brush through the barrel, kind of a zippy noise. Never heard anything like that before. I looked into the breech end with a flashlight and thought, "hmm, that's quite a lot of metal fouling from only 5 test rounds of jacketed bullets." I thought some other things but they don't bear repeating here.

So, I ran the ol' Teslong borescope into it and, well, y'all can see for yourselves. I have never, ever seen a bore like this.

This is right at the breech just after the forcing cone which you can see at the very right of the picture.

[Linked Image]

This is that same land at the muzzle.

[Linked Image]

Three more pics of different lands at various points along the bore. The grooves are okay, not the greatest but fairly normal longitudinal striations. But every land, from the forcing cone right up to the crown looks like this. The last of these really shows just how corrugated the entire bore is.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just for comparison I checked out a 20 year old S&W .38 and an eight year old Ruger Blackhawk .357. They have some fine finishing marks on the lands but are mirror surfaces compared to this SP101.

This is a deal breaker. I don't even want to think about what those little files would do to a cast bullet.

That looks like new state of art barrel design for more frequent cleaning requirement and replacement (larger surface area of grooves assures residue buildup and will be more prone to oxidation) so more new guns/parts can be sold.