Originally Posted by rickt300

My opinion the Remington and Savage unless significantly modified are much less capable than a Mauser, Springfield or Mosin. I mean if all you are going to get caught up in is sniping and running then maybe but otherwise the stock SA Remington is a pain to quickly load the stock magazine, the older staggered magazine Savages much better than the centerfeeds. There is usually more to it than sniping and running. Beyond that saying the average Remington is significantly more accurate than anything else and enough to make a difference is ludicrous.

You can single-load a Remington by dropping one in the open action and closing the bolt. Any rifle that doesn't REQUIRE magazine-feeding would be my preference.

That said, in this hypothetical fight, a bolt rifle is only going to be a component in an effective battle plan, as the bolt gun will work best to engage those with semi-autos BEFORE they can effectively engage. Seems to me that a scoped hunting rifle would work best to engage distant targets from a high place, or from cover, the same way that rifles were used effectively in the other major wars on this continent against muskets. And just like fighting against a bunch of men with muskets, a few guys with semi-autos can throw a lot of bullets out there, but not necessarily have significant effect against a distant single target.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.