No beagle. Dachshunds are crazy fun, but they are a hound - see above. I don't know how many hours on "walks" that I've waited for our first (now deceased) Doxy to get tired of running rabbits - or trying to ambush him as he came by me after one...

The current one minds much better, but still. 20 minutes wait until he decides to come is a huge improvement over an hour or two,.... smile

I vote Lab or Lab-mix. Can usually find one on rescue sites/animal shelters/pounds. If mixed with a smaller dog such as Spanial they will likely be good hunters as well - certainly sufficient for the casual user. That Lab hunting instinct carries over well in mixes. They do require exercise, and Labs are pretty bad shedders. My current one (Lab/sled dog/whippet???) is the worst shedder I've ever had. Daily brushing required, or highly recommended (by my wife!!) - takes me 5 minutes.

Even that doesn't help completely during the twice yearly shedding times...

Be aware that with Labradoodle or Goldoodle 50-50 mix pup, you still have a one in four chance that it will be a shedder. The other 3 will require clipping, but not often. Also be aware that many pups advertised as "lab-mix". are actually pit mix, to get around anti- pit laws and prejudices, which doesn't mean they won't be excellent family dogs, paranoia not-withstanding. As hunters maybe not so much.

A mid-sized poodle might be good for you, if it still has hunting instinct. My brother has a 3/4 poodle/1/4 golden, no shedding, and no hunting instinct at all... Spendy designer dogs....

Just a few days ago I got slobbered all over by a full-sized, 9 month old poodle in the airport. I'd take him home.... smile

Good thing I'm retired - we have a Lab-mix (I think) rescue dog (darned smart and mostly minds well) AND a Dachshund, who largely takes his clues from the bigger dog.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by las; 01/13/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.