Neighbors have 3 Golden-Doodles. They're nice enough dogs but bigger and barkier than I would want. Neighbors aren't hunters so I haven't a clue as to their prey-drive.

Sporting Clays team member has a standard poodle w/hunting bloodlines. He's an excellent upland bird dog and a very good pet for them. He's a bit aloof-distrusting of new folks and reasonably intolerant of other dogs. I've seen the poodle work pheasants and as I said earlier, he's very good at it. He's realized not to chase the runners as when they flush out of range, he doesn't get the reward of a retrieve. His nose is certainly good enough for pheasants but I haven't seen him in a really challenging downed bird/runner situation, just flush and retrieve very dead birds. He can work cattails for pheasants as well as any other hunting breed.

I know 2 very serious upland hunters who have several Small Munsterlanders between them. Both say not much for shedding and the dog settles into "pet/house-dog" life during the off-season. I haven't actually hunted with either of them. One is retired, the other lives in the heart of pheasant country, both spend 30-50days/fall chasing pheasants.

Were I to go away from an English Cocker at some point, the Small Munsterlander would be near the top of my list to consider.

I love labs. I grew up with them and still hunt with buddies that have them. They're easy to train. There are dozens of exceptional breeders/trainers that'll give you a way better than average chance of getting a dog with exceptional instincts. But, that oily coat means they're gonna stink, always stink.

The fact that I can "one-hand" my EC over woven fence, into the truck, or any other time lifting him might be necessary has certainly spoiled me as well.

Doggie 3 w/his litter-mates @ end of upland season:

[Linked Image]

Doggie 3 early in pheasant season:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by horse1; 01/14/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.