Originally Posted by horse1
I grew up with labs. I got out of college, employed, ready for a dog and happened into an impossible to pass situation for an English Cocker. That was 2001. Now on my 3rd EC, he's 1 and just as delightful as the last 2. He's a loyal and affectionate pet for 9Mo of the year then turns into an upland bird hunting machine for 3Mo.

Opening morning of Pheasant season @ ~9Mo old he spent 10Min in 8'+ tall cattails, part of that time having to swim to find a dead bird that sailed into them. Came out with the dead bird. He was soaked, muddy, and proudly wagging his tail just under the speed of light.

This is not the bird from the cattails described above but is the dog described:

[Linked Image]

He's resting quietly on his bed in my office. When he needs an ear-scratch or tummy-rub he'll come over and paw softly for a bit of attention. We hunted Sharptails, huns, ruffed grouse, and pheasants this fall and he'll suffice for all of them.

I have been considering an English Cocker as my next dog. Do you have any recommended breeders?