Well, as usual for a campfire thread, this has gone completely off the rails so I might as well throw in a completely off the wall suggestion to make it interesting.

My Daughter in Law is somewhat of a dog enthusiast and researches the heck out of dogs before committing to one. She worked for vets for quite some time and several breeders and knows the good and bad of most breeds and what to watch for- in temperament and in genetic lines that can cause issues like joint problems, cancers, and other maladies that seem to haunt particular dogs. She and I have had some "spirited" discussions about rescue dogs. She is adamant that if people just bought their dogs from reputable breeders , there wouldn't be the health problems that many dogs seem to have. My contention is that rescue dogs need a family too and are quite often extremely loyal, loving dogs that love their family if you choose well... we choose to agree to disagree, though I have no problem with her purebred dogs, even though I sometimes question the fact my son has to pay the ridiculous prices purebreds are getting these days....

But enough of that... my son and DIL have a thing for smashed face dogs (and cats) and she has been dealing with and breeding Pugs for quite some time off and on- not as a business proposition. The last time she had a litter of pugs, she also got a Bull Mastiff pup about the same age and they have grown up together as brothers. But the Pug rules the roost most of the time, which is funny as hell- watching a 10 lb dog grab hold of a 130 lb dog's jowls and raise hell because he was messing with something she had laid claim to... But the thing is, I've always loved dogs, but my wife isn't a dog person. But my son's Bull Mastiff is the coolest dog I've ever been around. You will never find a more loving dog or family dog than a Bull Mastiff. They are dust collectors most of the time, unless someone comes to the door that they don't recognize or someone tries to get aggressive with their people. They don't bite, they are bred to be the "groundskeepers' friend" in England originally the way I hear the story. They will jump up at an aggressor, knock them over with their huge front paws and legs, and stand over them with their huge head in the poachers face until the groundskeeper can catch up and effect an action. They crate well and train exceptionally well. They want attention and to love their owners so badly they will try to get inside your skin to get as close to you as possible. It is comical and sometimes uncomfortable having a 130 lb lap dog, but that is what he thinks he is. Not much for hunting as "smash faced dogs" don't breathe well and can't be run for long distances or in the heat. But no dog I've ever met will love your family as much as one of these big lugs...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.