Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by rem141r
Originally Posted by G23
rem,

Where are you located? and what type of IT work do you do?

G23

i am in PA and i do linux/network/vmware admin. i don't mind that work, if the job is not a pressure cooker. maintaining a banks transaction and storage environments or a healthcares datawarehouse sucks. good money, stress out the ass. oncall, RCA's, phone bridges in the middle of the night, that kind of schit. schit goes sideways and the buzzards circle. everybody in those environments is stressed usually. i would like to find a low stress linux admin job where i am not the Man. hit and run contracting has its appeal, but you are treated like a janitor most of the time. i could be an old fugger IT guy at a community college though. but those jobs pay less than unemployment usually.

Where you are does not matter as much any more.

Linux/vmware ... really. I would think with the "covid" going around technical support for virtual environments would be high. Sell yourself as an "expert in technology enabling remote work environments." Linux is a a bit of a no go for low tech companies. Seems like people are afraid of it. Have you used proxmox? Maybe you could come in and offer complete open source solutions and save lots of money for them. Then of course they are afraid of loosing the tech knowledge too. Microsoft is safe.

The tech industry is a world of young minds who think old mind are dumb minds. They are too young to realize the IT industry is a world of rehashed buzz words and they are being taken for a ride.

speaking of rehashed buzzwords, throw in Cloud computing (essentially VMware remotely) and Managed Services (running their software apps on the cloud so they don't have to buy hardware - think Office 365 now)

Consider taking some time learning about how its done on AWS if you don't know already. The transition to that world probably wouldn't be very hard given your background.

Last edited by KFWA; 01/25/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings