Originally Posted by rem141r
Well i got my notice last week. not a total surprise but still a kick in the nuts. spent a lot of time soul searching. i'm 59, debt free, we have lived well below our means and while not rich, could swing it if push comes to shove, big unknowns aside. what i have is what i saved, no pension or anything like that. still wanted to work til 62 to buy some big ticket items though which i am not going to do unless i get another job. while i am marketable, i am also competing against people half my age, 2/3 my salary and frankly usually quicker learners. my ability to learn new complicated things has diminished in the past 10 or so years and my field changes a lot. i am looking for work but am bracing for the worst. fortunately my company is giving me a pretty good severance pkg which really helps. my emotions run the gamut from scared to happy to hopeful to anxious and all flavors in between. last time this happened was right smack dab in the middle of 2008 recession and i was schitting bricks with kids, mortgage, car payment, etc. totally different feeling now. i haven't enjoyed my line of work for 15 or more years but it pays really well. considering some totally different job but not sure what. most jobs suck and if a job is going to suck, i want it to pay well if possible. i have worked for 45 years and always been a saver. switching to being a spender is disconcerting.

anybody else ever just totally changed jobs at this point? the panhandling gig seems pretty good. just need to stay away from the intersections around clarksville.

I changed jobs when the crash in 2008 hit the construction industry. I'm still in construction, but in a totally different compacity. Getting the boot was by far the best thing that happened in my carreer. I work less, make more money and have a lot more flexible hours than I ever did before.

I'm sorry you lost your job, but you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and are sitting well financially. That's a great thing. Take a few weeks to figure out what you want to do, if it's anything.

Last edited by tzone; 01/25/21.

Camp is where you make it.