Originally Posted by rem141r
Originally Posted by G23
rem,

Where are you located? and what type of IT work do you do?

G23

i am in PA and i do linux/network/vmware admin. i don't mind that work, if the job is not a pressure cooker. maintaining a banks transaction and storage environments or a healthcares datawarehouse sucks. good money, stress out the ass. oncall, RCA's, phone bridges in the middle of the night, that kind of schit. schit goes sideways and the buzzards circle. everybody in those environments is stressed usually. i would like to find a low stress linux admin job where i am not the Man. hit and run contracting has its appeal, but you are treated like a janitor most of the time. i could be an old fugger IT guy at a community college though. but those jobs pay less than unemployment usually.

Start your own business working with small business owners or small .gov entities to get them off their 20+ year old servers and in the cloud. Just helped my BIL get the local transportation authority off a server ( his IT contractor was collecting 275 per month to monitor a 16 year of server with no backup ) and moved to AWS.

Been where you are now and it sucks. But I will make you this promise, you will land in a better place.