Basically it is recommended to have 1500 ft/lbs of energy at range this is what you are going to find in most of the hunting Regs Books in the western states
What does this really mean

Looking at a 30-06 using 180 gr Partitions you are holding 1500 out to just under 450 Yards

Looking at a .338 Win using 210 gr Partitions you are good out just past 500 yards

Looking at a 270 Win using 150 gr Partitions you are good out just past 350 yards

Looking at a .243 I couldn't find info at anything over 100grs and the partitions were dropping under 1500 ft/lbs at just over 100 yards

Now to be honest it is always more about placement than power, but you do still have to have the power to break through Hair Hide and Bone to hit vitals

Elk are tough and they can eat up ground when they run, personally I like the Win Mags .338 and .300

I used the stats on the Nosler Partitions because they are considered the gold standard to compare other bullets too especially for Elk personally I shoot Barnes TSX or TTSX and they have never failed me.. I however started hunting Elk with Nosler Partitions :p

Last edited by gssixgun; 02/23/21.

Slaying Orcs